Caption

Discovering some of the best restaurants that Las Vegas has to offer.



Monday, April 25, 2011

Sin City Sushi

This Saturday, Sin City Eats went to Sin City Sushi.  It was a match made in heaven.  Our group of four (including me and my wife, my sister-in-law and her husband) had a fantastic experience.

For the record, I was a sushi virgin until Saturday so I cannot compare this joint to other places around town.  However, the other couple gets sushi every now and then and they said that it stacks up well with other places they have tried.


We had a seat in a booth, but ended up taking four spots at the bar after we placed our order.  As we took our new seats, we got to interact with the chefs as they made our rolls, and they got to know us by name.  I really enjoyed sitting at the bar and would recommend it to anyone going to this place, especially if you aren't quite sure of what you are doing or ordering; the chefs helped us change our order a little bit to make sure that we had a great experience.  They told us that one of the rolls we ordered used baked fish and that it would be a little dry, so they suggested something else, and we were blessed for our flexibility.


The rolls we ordered were as follows: the Starburst, the Vampire, the Garlic Tuna, the Happy, the Birthday, and the Stacie.  I won't go into all of the details of each roll, but let me say that they were all really, REALLY, REALLY good.  One of the highlights for me was the Happy, with tempura calamari, salmon, and avocado inside, and then they tempura fry the whole roll leaving a crispy outer layer around the creamy rice.  YUM.  Another favorite for all of us was the Stacie.  It had shrimp tempura, yum sauce, and cucumber inside with a crab salad, tempura crispy flakes, and unagi sauce on the outside.  It was delicious and looked something like this:


The food was great and the interactions with the sushi rollers was fun as well.  Listen, if you are scared to try sushi you gotta come try this place and let these chefs hold your hand through the experience.  My wife was VERY iffy about trying sushi (she has texture issues with some foods...and raw fish sounded weird too) but she loved the stuff; there wasn't a roll that she did not like.  Go eat sushi!

Oh, I almost forgot... as we were about to leave, one of the chefs handed us a plate of baby tako just to try as we left.  It is smoked, marinated octopus that was not rubbery and had a nice smokey, soy-y zing.  It was a nice note on which to end our feast.


Sin City Sushi was a great place.  Great food, great service.  What more can you ask for?

One more suggestion:  go with a group of four.  That way, you can order a variety of rolls, and each person can get two pieces of each roll (each roll was cut into 8 bites of sushi bliss).

I understand that sushi is not the cheapest thing, but every once in a while you gotta splurge a little.  This place is located just south of the 215 at Eastern, in the first shopping center on the west side of Eastern as you get off the freeway.  Check out their website, including menu and prices HERE.

I am just thinking about when I can go back.

4 comments:

  1. I love sushi. I want to try this place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, cam. it was soooooo good!! i want some of that happy roll right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this place! I go there at least two times a mounth!! best sushi and service in town!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so hot anymore, Very raely is young there. And they let the 2 best waitress go. Service not so hot.

    ReplyDelete