Caption

Discovering some of the best restaurants that Las Vegas has to offer.



Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'm at it again

For those of you who know me well, you probably saw my old food blog This is the...FOOD which I started for a class at BYU.  Even though that was an assignment, I had a good time trying the places and writing about them made the experience even better.  For me, there is a sort of rush that comes from not only tasting great food, but also talking and writing about it.  I guess you could say it is a passion of mine.

Some people told me that I should continue my restaurant reviews after I left Happyville, UT.  So here I am now.

I was born and raised in Las Vegas, but I am sad to say that if I went out to eat with my family or friends, we usually stuck to the nationwide chains that we all know so well: the Olive Gardens, the Red Robins, and the Chili's's of the world--not that there is anything wrong with that (a la Jerry Seinfeld).  There is something to be said for playing it safe, especially when you are taking 5 kids to the restaurant like my parents had to do.  Thanks, by the way.

But now that I am a little older, I like to try those not-so-big-named places.  The ones where you go out on a limb and you hope that you don't waste your time or money on bland food or poor service.  When you find a hidden gem, however, that offers something spectacular when you had no idea what to expect--it is a fabulous experience.  I want to help you find some of these hidden gems, and, if needs be, I'll take one for the team and tell you where you might walk away from with nothing more than a bad taste in your mouth or a bad feeling in your stomach.

Let me say: there is a good chance that from time to time I will stray from this focus--I may want to share a recipe, review a big name restaurant, or even talk sports.  But hey, it's my blog and I can do what I want.

No more talking.  Let's get our grub on.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    First up?

    Four Kegs for a calzone maybe?

    P.S. The place is scary but the meatball calzone is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Four Kegs on DDD and had my dad bring it home from work for us one day. Even though it had been in the car for 20 min it was still good stuff. The good/bad thing is that this place is literally a block from where I work now. Temptation. Give me strength.

    One of my favorite things from there, though, was the cajun fries. I am pretty sure they were steak fries tossed in buffalo wing sauce. And I am a buffalo sauce guy. They were great.

    I've also heard that the (sicilian) pizza there is some of the best in town. Gotta try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cajun french fry tip. I will definitely give those a shot the next time I stop in. Such a classy place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm really excited that you are doing this. I just found this blog, and read through ALL the posts. You made me want to try all of these places...and I don't really much care for Thai food.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete